Henry J. Waternoose III, more commonly known as Mr. Waternoose or simply Waternoose, is the main antagonist of Monsters, Inc., along with Randall Boggs. He is the former CEO of the company who worked on the scream extractor and used Randall and Fungus as his two henchmen, making Randall look like the boss so no one will know his the top of the plan.
Waternoose used to like Sulley and have him as his protégé, but after his plans failed, he revealed his true evil self.
In Monsters, Inc.Edit
Waternoose is one of three owners, all cast down from lineage. He inherited the factory from his father when he was 142 years old, and turned it into the modern energy factory that appears at the beginning at the movie. Sulley, being the company's biggest "producer" and Waternoose's protégé, is asked to come down to the scare training room and show the new employees how scaring should be done.
Waternoose is told by Mike about Randall's plot, and he pretends to offer help. Waternoose is really behind a plot to increase the dwindling scare production with Randall, the company's second-biggest producer and in the plot Waternoos's top henchman. Waternoose orders Randall to open a door to the human world and then he throws Sulley and Mike out into the door full of snow on purpose and shuts the door before Sulley can run back in.
Later, Randall puts Boo into the scream extractor. Waternoose then shouted at Randall that he got ridd of someone who is twice as scary Randall will ever be (After all, scaring makes power, and he knew Randall is a big failier). Randall groweld at Waternoose but carried on doing his plot with Waternoose still above him. when Sulley and Mike came to rescue Boo, Waternoose shouted at his henchmen to catch Sulley, Mike and Boo, and this time with out any witnesss.
After the defeat of Randall which turned off the power, Waternoose turned it back on and told the Child Detection Agency (CDA) to get ready to catch Boo and the crimminals who are responsible for this whole mess. Mike then threw on the CDA a sock, ran away and told them about Waternoos's plot, meanwhile Henry James Waternoose was chasing after Sulley trying to catch Boo. Waternoose reveals that he was the bad guy in the story and that he made up the plot, not Randall. he sayed that he and Boo have seen to much of his plot and revealed that in his plan there is kidnaping 1,000 children and silencing anyone who gets into his way.
When he finally figures out that Sulley and Mike have Boo, Mr. Waternoose gets recorded and gets arrested by the CDA because he was the crimminal who started the whole mess. many people thought to be fired until Sulley opend Monsters Inc. as a lauthing company.
In Monsters UniversityEdit
Waternoose appears as a minor character welcoming Sulley and Mike to Monsters Inc.
Originally, Waternoose had a gentle, fatherly facade with Sulley and he believed he was the best scarer. He used to be Sulley's father-like mentor and he liked him as his top scarer, only to turn on him and Mike and banish them later on, under Randall's orders. Since that day, Sulley, Mike, and Mr. Waternoose have been enemies.
Later, he is only driven to villainy out of desperation to keep Monsters, Inc. afloat in the midst of the energy crisis. Mr. Waternoose becomes more villainous as this drive and desperation strips away his morals and is determined to not let anything stop what he thinks will be the best way for the company to keep going, never bothering to look for other energy resources.
thaw he does stop and show remore on one occation. its shown regrets banishing Sulley and Mike and he tells Randall that he never should have trusted him with the plan since he had to exile his scarers because of him. win Randall brushes it off, telling his henchman won't need scarers with his machine and that Sulley "got what he deserved" anyway. Waternoose argues back and defensively says that Sulley was twice the scarer Randall will ever be, which makes Randall lowly growl in frustration and anger at Waternoose.
At the end of the first film, Waternoose got taken to jail by the CDA and yelled at Sulley and blamed him for "destroying" Monsters, Inc. and that it's his fault the crisis will now get worse. However, it was revealed that Sulley ended up making it better and also replacing Mr. Waternoose as the new CEO.
its interesting to note that Although Waternoose ended up becoming involved in abducting Boo despite his claims of children being toxic to monsters, it is never made clear whether he knew children were not toxic and thus lied about their danger to the Monsters, or if he did truly believe they were toxic but felt saving the company from bankruptcy was worth the risk of being poisoned by a child and potentially killed.
As well, they are both revealed to be main antagonists.
- Waternoose was constantly thought to be the first film's secondary antagonist and Randall's henchman. However, they are lots of places in the movie that show Waternoose is the boss, However, Randall is still more genius than him.
- For example, Waternoose ordering Randall to stop the three protagonists, Randall reforming at the end without Waternoose (as a cameo), Randall giving witnesses to Mike and Waternoose ordering him not to give more witnesses and Waternoose saying that Sulley and Boo have seen too much (revealing that he was the boss all the time).
- Waternoose was the last animated character voiced by James Coburn, and one of his last roles before his death in 2002.
- In Monsters University, Waternoose will be voiced by Kelsey Grammer since Coburn died. Grammer previously voiced another Pixar villain: Stinky Pete in Toy Story 2.
- He is similar to Miles Axlerod from Cars 2, pretending to be friendly at first, but then showing themselves to really be a selfish villain.
- Waternoose is the first Pixar villain to be arrested, but Stinky Pete's defeat is very simular cause he got stuck in a girls bag like he was in a jail.
- His father's real name is unclear.
- Waternoose was once thought to be Randall's henchman but that was part of the plot and Waternoose was Randall's boss at the plot and at the scare program.
- He was the most minior character in Monsters University.
- Waternoose is the main antagonist of Monsters Inc, hidden behind Randall.
- Waternoose's gender is a male.
- Waternoose is an ally in the video game "Monsters Inc: Scare Island".